Monday, November 12 (Veteran’s Day):
· Special edition CDC Safe Healthcare blog, which will feature a story about the successes in antibiotic stewardship program implementation to improve antibiotic use and prescribing for our nation’s veterans.
· CDC resources and data for healthcare providers:
Provides up to 8 hours of free continuing education (CE)!
o NEW! Publication that describes drivers of inappropriate antibiotic prescribing and potential interventions to improve
outpatient antibiotic use. (Publishing on Monday, November 12th)
· CDC resources and data for patients and their families:
o “The Right Tool” 15-second Public Service Announcement
o “Antibiotics Aren’t Always the Answer” animated educational video
Tuesday, November 13:
· 5 Ways Pharmacists Can Be Antibiotics Aware FREE webinar with CE at 1 pm EST, hosted by CDC in collaboration with Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA’s) Federal Office of Rural Health Policy, the Society of Infectious Disease Pharmacists, and the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
o Leading experts will discuss pharmacists’ roles in improving antibiotic prescribing and use in hospital settings.
· CDC resources and data for inpatient healthcare providers:
Wednesday, November 14:
· CDC resources and data for healthcare providers who provide care for older adults:
o NEW customizable commitment poster for facilities! A Commitment to Our Residents About Antibiotics
o Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Among Older Adults in the United States, 2011 to 2014, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
Thursday, November 15:
· Join CDC and other countries for the global #AntibioticResistance Twitter Storm from 9-10 am EST.
o Follow @CDCgov on Twitter and tweet throughout the hour to help spread the word about antibiotic resistance and improving antibiotic prescribing and use.
o Official hashtag: #AntibioticResistance
o Tweet this message at 9 am EST to kick-off the Twitter Storm: Antibiotic resistance is one of the most urgent global health threats. Everyone has a role to play in improving antibiotic use to help fight #AntibioticResistance.
· NEW guide for antibiotic stewardship programs in international, resource-limited settings: CDC’s Core Elements of Human Antibiotic Stewardship Programs in Resource-Limited Settings
Friday, November 16:
· CDC data and resources for outpatient healthcare providers:
· CDC data and resources for dental providers:
o NEW Antibiotic Prescriptions Associated with Dental-Related Emergency Department Visits, Annals of Emergency Medicine (This publication may also be of interest to emergency department healthcare providers in addition to dental providers).
o Do You Need Antibiotics from Your Dentist? brochure (for patients)
Join our GovD e-mail blast listserv to get the latest from CDC. Also, throughout USAAW, be sure to:
o #USAAW18 for the observance week
o #BeAntibioticsAware for the campaign
· Check out CDC’s Safe Healthcare Blog where we’ll be featuring various stories from partners about improving antibiotic prescribing and use.
We look forward to collaborating with you this year to raise awareness about appropriate antibiotic prescribing and use and the threat of antibiotic resistance!